Friday, December 21, 2007

Yeah, that's healthy

This article, from WebMD and Redbook, has been Dugg 424 times (the last time I checked).

The title is "Don't-Tell-the-Wife" Secrets All Men Keep." Here's a piece of the intro:

...Then one day, as we stood in line for a movie at the mall, Simone Shaw, junior high prom queen, sauntered by. Suddenly Amy turned to me. "Were you looking at her?" she asked. "Do you think she's pretty?"

My mind reeled. Of course I was looking at her! Of course she was pretty! My God, she was Simone Shaw! I paused for a second, then decided to play it straight.

"Well, yeah," I chortled.

Five days later our breakup hit the tabloids (a.k.a. the lunchroom).

There comes a time in every man's life when he discovers the value of hiding the grosser parts of his nature. He starts reciting the sweet nothings you long to hear: "No, honey, I play golf for the exercise." "No, honey, I think you're a great driver." "No, honey, I wasn't looking at that coed washing the car in the rain."

Some of the "Secrets" are:
Secret #1: Yes, we fall in lust 10 times a day -- but it doesn't mean we want to leave you.
Secret #2: We actually do play golf to get away from you
Secret #3: We're unnerved by the notion of commitment, even after we've made one to you
Secret #4: Earning money makes us feel important

The article itself is bad enough, but the fact that people actually put it up on Digg and 424 people actually took the time to "digg" it. The beginning of the article especially is barf-worthy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

2400 diggs now. It resonates. Your post doesn't say what is "barf-worthy" in your view.

To me, it just reads like a husband thinks...."ya my eye wanders but my heart does not, and I'm obsessed with doing everything to make you happy and protect/provide-for our family....just give me some space and don't turn into your mom".

Maybe your objection is to the lies/secrets approach of the article? If so...I'm with you 100%...

Unknown said...

Admittedly, this was a bit of a rushed post.

But yes, my real problem is the assumption that all/most men lie to their wives on a daily basis. And the fact that this article assumes women don't want/think/lust after the same stuff.

A good relationship is an honest, open relationship...period.