Thursday, December 27, 2007

Hypocrite Heigl

Okay, this one could get sticky.

When Katherine Heigl called Knocked Up "a little sexist, I kept quiet. I also felt a little weird about the movie. I admit, I enjoyed it. But afterward I questioned how annoying the female characters were. Then, I realized the men were pretty damn annoying. So why did I like the movie? Eh, who cares, I like Judd Apatow.

But now, I need to call the lady out. Her new movie is called 27 Dresses. These dresses all happen to be bridesmaid dresses. Poor Jane is (how original) always a bridesmaid, never a bride. She never says no to anyone. She is, according to the synopsis, idealistic, romantic, and completely selfless.

Wait a minute...a woman wants to get married? A woman has trouble saying no to people? Too weak to NOT put her life on hold for other people? Afraid to stand up for herself? A little sexist, indeed. Maybe you should take a look at your career (My Father the Hero, 100 Girls, Romy and Michele: In the Beginning, not to mention her whiny, annoying, one-dimensional turn on Grey's Anatomy.

Sure, this doesn't mean she can't think stuff is sexist, but after looking at this list, I almost think Knocked Up is the least sexist thing she's done. DEFINITELY the best thing she's ever done.

No comments: