Wednesday, June 13, 2007

BCOO: Lord of the Flies, by William Golding

Ah, it's about time. When there's actual work to do, it's hard to justify a blog entry. There's tons of shit happening politically right now, but I feel obligated to make this about my nasty reading habit. Yep, I got the monkey on my back and he's making hog's-head popsicle sticks. Did that track? Oh, brain is fried... Yeah, I really just want to get the book off of my desk.

Lord of the Flies...I enjoyed the journey into human instinct at its most basic level. I missed out on the book in high school, so I figured I should see what made my partner go "ooh." Well, I'm not a guy, so I think that cut the "ooh" down to an "oh." Plus, I'm not in high school.

The narrator gave me the most pause. He/she/it brought me out of the world by switching mindset. The narrator would alternate between a boy's intelligence and consciousness and an adult's. There's probably some great reason for this that I missed. I admittedly did not spend much time thinking about the book. If anyone would care to enlighten me, it would be welcome.

Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy is next. It will be awhile before I'll post about that. I'll probably be a New Yorker by then. Hopefully, I'll get in a couple posts in the meantime. So much to rant about, so little time!

No comments: