Thursday, May 24, 2007

BCOO: Story Time

Oh, Meggin, I'm so sorry if you're reading this.

I did not like this book. Maybe I wasn't in the correct mindset for a young adult book, maybe I'm too cynical, but I wanted nothing more than to get through to the end. I didn't like the writing, I thought the story was disjointed, I thought the dialogue was forced.

That being said, the idea was certainly creative. A gothic library building houses a magnet school which teaches TBC: test-based curriculum (the setting for a pretty blatant condemnation of teaching to the test - while I agree with the sentiment, the execution was poor). Not only is the school located in the basement, it's haunted. By...uh...book people? It was never completely explained who was doing the haunting and why.

I don't want to spend too long on a book I don't like. I'm going for young again in my next book: Lord of the Flies, by William Golding.

No comments: