Wednesday, April 11, 2007

BCOO: The Cider House Rules, John Irving

Sometimes I long for the days when I loved Irving. I threw myself into his long, meandering stories and enjoyed almost every page.

I didn't hate The Cider House Rules, but I didn't love it either. Anyone who knows the story can probably guess that I was happy with the politics. One of the main characters in the story is an abortionist before legal abortion.

The more I read Irving, the more I feel like he doesn't trust me to make the connections, to really read his work. He lays things out too plainly and it gets on my nerves. It feels condescending, patronizing. I like the modern feel of his stories, the modern sentiment and politics, but I hate feeling like he thinks I'm stupid.

I think that's all I want to say. I wish I could enjoy him more.

Next: All the Names, Jose Saramago

No comments: